Thursday, May 23 2013 9:08 PM EDT2013-05-24 01:08:29 GMT
A staple atop Church Street in downtown Burlington is gone. We told you the fountain was being removed last month. Church Street Marketplace leaders say it was too expensive to run and blocked foot traffic.More >>
A staple atop Church Street in downtown Burlington is gone.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 9:01 PM EDT2013-05-24 01:01:37 GMT
If you're approached by a Vermont State Trooper, there's one thing you may not see, a tattoo. That's because for six years the department hasn't allowed visible ink.But VSP Captain David Notte saysMore >>
Vermont State Police say it's considering changing its tattoo policy, to get more recruits. Right now you can't have any visible tattoos, but that could soon change.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 6:54 PM EDT2013-05-23 22:54:33 GMT
Yesterday's quick downpour is leaving long-term damage to Burlington roads and businesses. So much so it has the Department of Public Works looking closely at making some major repairs to the entire system. TheMore >>
Yesterday's quick downpour is leaving long-term damage to Burlington roads and businesses.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 6:24 PM EDT2013-05-23 22:24:21 GMT
Undocumented immigrants in Vermont won a huge battle in the state legislature this year that will eventually give them the chance to earn driver's licenses. That includes Jose Norman. "I've been hereMore >>
The new law won't take effect until January 2014.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 2:51 PM EDT2013-05-23 18:51:07 GMT
Crews are responding to a garbage truck that caught fire off Shelburne Road in Shelburne, Vt. According to the Shelburne Fire Department, something in the back of a Casella Waste truck caught fire. TheMore >>
Crews are responding to a garbage truck that caught fire off Shelburne Road in Shelburne, Vt.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 2:04 PM EDT2013-05-23 18:04:40 GMT
The N.H. Senate is expected to take up a bill Thursday to legalize medical marijuana in the state. According to the legislation HB573, it would allow patients with cancer, glaucoma, positive status forMore >>
The N.H. Senate is expected to take up a bill Thursday to legalize medical marijuana in the state.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 12:34 PM EDT2013-05-23 16:34:26 GMT
The Essex Fire Department and Vermont Gas are currently investigating the smell of propane at the Edge Fitness Center in Essex, Vt.FOX44 and ABC22 reporter Michael Page says they haven't found anythingMore >>
The Essex Fire Department and Vermont Gas are currently investigating the smell of propane at the Edge Fitness Center in Essex, Vt.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 12:22 PM EDT2013-05-23 16:22:39 GMT
The annual Spring Move Out Project in Burlington Thursday. The project allows you to get rid of unwanted, but still usable household goods. You can bring clothes, books, furniture, household items, andMore >>
The annual Spring Move Out Project is being held in Burlington Thursday.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 10:40 AM EDT2013-05-23 14:40:21 GMT
If you're planning on traveling this holiday weekend, you're not alone. According to AAA, more than 30 million Americans will be on the roadways. On average, they'll also be driving at least 50 miles forMore >>
If you're planning on traveling this holiday weekend, you're not alone.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 9:31 AM EDT2013-05-23 13:31:51 GMT
Each year between 5 and 7 million animals enter a shelter. Purina Cat Chow is trying to offset some of those costs. The company is donating $200,000 to 50 shelters and that's where you come in. A quickMore >>
Each year between 5 and 7 million animals enter a shelter. Purina Cat Chow is trying to offset some of those costs. More >>
BARRE, Vt. -
After a December fire, Barre, Vermont officials worry about asbestos contamination. The city is taking a pretty thorough approach covering all bases from safety to cleanup to costs and trying to weigh the best options.
December 20th, Barre fire fighters and several other departments battle a fire at the Houle Brothers Granite plant. Unknown at the time the plant is infested with Amosite Asbestos.
"I never seen asbestos like this in a building," said Barre Fire Chief, Timothy Bombardier.
It wasn't until nearly a month later when the chief says he found out, "On January 14th, I heard through word of mouth, that there was asbestos in the building."
But there oftentimes is asbestos found in buildings, so a city councilman asks why this case is requiring such attention?
"I have yet to understand what the difference is between this particular fire?" asked Paul Poirier, Barre Councilman.
"The sign says it all, and what's most shocking is that the board says this building alone has the most asbestos they've seen in 20 years.
"In layman's terms this is above and beyond any amount of asbestos that in my opinion you would expect to see," said Chief Bombardier.
Now the city council and other health specialists worry about the fire fighters equipment, with asbestos fibers possibly still clinging to the gear. One idea is to have the gear tested and certifiably cleaned.
Or, "If you have anything that was contaminated you should have thrown it out," said Chief Bombardier, on advice that was given to him in a previous meeting.
But throwing out and buying all new gear, could run over 200 thousand dollars. The council and fire chief plan to meet again Tuesday to go over specific costs to determine which option to go with, and they plan to discuss legalities and who will ultimately be responsible for the cost.
Barre Council and Fire Chief Discuss Asbestos ConcernsMore>>