Thursday, May 23 2013 9:08 PM EDT2013-05-24 01:08:29 GMT
A staple atop Church Street in downtown Burlington is gone. We told you the fountain was being removed last month. Church Street Marketplace leaders say it was too expensive to run and blocked foot traffic.More >>
A staple atop Church Street in downtown Burlington is gone.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 9:01 PM EDT2013-05-24 01:01:37 GMT
If you're approached by a Vermont State Trooper, there's one thing you may not see, a tattoo. That's because for six years the department hasn't allowed visible ink.But VSP Captain David Notte saysMore >>
Vermont State Police say it's considering changing its tattoo policy, to get more recruits. Right now you can't have any visible tattoos, but that could soon change.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 6:54 PM EDT2013-05-23 22:54:33 GMT
Yesterday's quick downpour is leaving long-term damage to Burlington roads and businesses. So much so it has the Department of Public Works looking closely at making some major repairs to the entire system. TheMore >>
Yesterday's quick downpour is leaving long-term damage to Burlington roads and businesses.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 6:24 PM EDT2013-05-23 22:24:21 GMT
Undocumented immigrants in Vermont won a huge battle in the state legislature this year that will eventually give them the chance to earn driver's licenses. That includes Jose Norman. "I've been hereMore >>
The new law won't take effect until January 2014.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 2:51 PM EDT2013-05-23 18:51:07 GMT
Crews are responding to a garbage truck that caught fire off Shelburne Road in Shelburne, Vt. According to the Shelburne Fire Department, something in the back of a Casella Waste truck caught fire. TheMore >>
Crews are responding to a garbage truck that caught fire off Shelburne Road in Shelburne, Vt.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 2:04 PM EDT2013-05-23 18:04:40 GMT
The N.H. Senate is expected to take up a bill Thursday to legalize medical marijuana in the state. According to the legislation HB573, it would allow patients with cancer, glaucoma, positive status forMore >>
The N.H. Senate is expected to take up a bill Thursday to legalize medical marijuana in the state.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 12:34 PM EDT2013-05-23 16:34:26 GMT
The Essex Fire Department and Vermont Gas are currently investigating the smell of propane at the Edge Fitness Center in Essex, Vt.FOX44 and ABC22 reporter Michael Page says they haven't found anythingMore >>
The Essex Fire Department and Vermont Gas are currently investigating the smell of propane at the Edge Fitness Center in Essex, Vt.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 12:22 PM EDT2013-05-23 16:22:39 GMT
The annual Spring Move Out Project in Burlington Thursday. The project allows you to get rid of unwanted, but still usable household goods. You can bring clothes, books, furniture, household items, andMore >>
The annual Spring Move Out Project is being held in Burlington Thursday.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 10:40 AM EDT2013-05-23 14:40:21 GMT
If you're planning on traveling this holiday weekend, you're not alone. According to AAA, more than 30 million Americans will be on the roadways. On average, they'll also be driving at least 50 miles forMore >>
If you're planning on traveling this holiday weekend, you're not alone.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 9:31 AM EDT2013-05-23 13:31:51 GMT
Each year between 5 and 7 million animals enter a shelter. Purina Cat Chow is trying to offset some of those costs. The company is donating $200,000 to 50 shelters and that's where you come in. A quickMore >>
Each year between 5 and 7 million animals enter a shelter. Purina Cat Chow is trying to offset some of those costs. More >>
SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. -
A house went up in flames last night in South Burlington, and killed the home-owner inside.
We first reported on this local tragedy yesterday, and today, we have exclusive new details from the neighbor who heard the smoke alarm and called 911.
Aside from the yellow police tape that lined the house on Catkin Court in South Burlington, you wouldn't know it was the site of a fatal fire. Sally Walker was its only victim.
"It's very sad. Death is such a final thing," neighbor, Heather Herath said.
Thursday night, another neighbor heard the smoke alarm and immediately called 911. We talked exclusively with Lauren Levins.
"We turned the TV off, I went upstairs and I could hear it clearly that is was next door," Levins said.
Levins had to evacuate, for what felt like hours.
"In the meantime, I'm just watching my house go up, was my thought," she said.
Fortunately, her home and life were spared. Autopsy results aren't in for Walker, but police say it was the fire that in fact caused her death, not something medical.
"It was started in the middle of the room, it doesn't look like it started from a faulty electrical outlet or anything like that, it was something that ignited the carpet," Association Board President Kurt Lunde said.
We've learned Walker was a smoker, and that the fire was contained to one area on the first floor. She was also agile, so neighbors say it's devastating that she wasn't able to get out alive.
"It looks like the inside of a cave, just black soot all over, everything," Lunde said.
Police haven't ruled out suicide - or arson, but it doesn't appear to be suspicious. The cause is still under investigation.
House Fire Claims the Life of a South Burlington WomanMore>>