Tuesday, May 21 2013 12:32 PM EDT2013-05-21 16:32:21 GMT
ABC World News With Diane Sawyer will be expanded to one hour Tuesday night. According to ABC News, the 1 hour telecast will provide information about the Oklahoma tornado. ABC22 will go on-air at 7:30More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 11:55 AM EDT2013-05-21 15:55:33 GMT
New York State Police are investigating a fatal accident in Champlain, N.Y. on Monday night. A press release says when Ronald Trombly, 85, of Mooers, N.Y., was trying to get around 4 runners on the shoulderMore >>
New York State Police are investigating a fatal accident in Champlain, N.Y. Monday night.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 11:15 AM EDT2013-05-21 15:15:46 GMT
There is a meeting for the Burlington Community in regards to the rail yard enterprise project. This project would essentially connect Pine Street and Battery Street at the Kilburn intersection, cuttingMore >>
There is a meeting for the Burlington Community in regards to the rail yard enterprise project. More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 11:07 AM EDT2013-05-21 15:07:08 GMT
A judge has denied the request of Patricia Prue for a new lawyer. The judge says difference of opinion is not enough to substitute new counsel. Patricia and Allen Prue are accused of strangling and beatingMore >>
A judge has denied the request of Patricia Prue for a new lawyer.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 8:31 AM EDT2013-05-21 12:31:52 GMT
Vermont State Parks are set to open this weekend. A press release says the Memorial Day holiday, the unofficial start of summer, marks the beginning of the prime season for all 52 Vermont State Parks.More >>
Vermont State Parks are set to open this weekend.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 8:16 AM EDT2013-05-21 12:16:17 GMT
It's not just you that may be dealing with seasonal allergies. If you have pets, they too may be suffering. According to a local veterinarian, often times, animals will get itchy. Extreme scratching canMore >>
It's not just you that may be dealing with seasonal allergies. If you have pets, they too may be suffering. More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 7:38 AM EDT2013-05-21 11:38:49 GMT
Rescue crews are still searching for people caught in Monday's massive tornado near Oklahoma City. The tornado is estimated to have been at least 2 miles wide. So far Tuesday morning, there have been 51More >>
Rescue crews are still searching for people caught in Monday's massive tornado near Oklahoma City.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 7:10 AM EDT2013-05-21 11:10:02 GMT
A Florida based company is breaking out the checkbook for Vermonters. The company in trouble is American Debt Counseling. They provide debt reduction programs and credit counseling to consumers. In a recentMore >>
A Florida based company is breaking out the checkbook for Vermonters.More >>
Monday, May 20 2013 10:29 PM EDT2013-05-21 02:29:03 GMT
Now more than a month after the Boston Bombings, Burlington police are giving us a glimpse at their plans and the changes they've made for the Vermont City Marathon on Sunday. Burlington police say, inMore >>
Now more than a month after the Boston Bombings, Burlington police are giving us a glimpse at their plans and the changes they've made for the Vermont City Marathon on Sunday.More >>
Monday, May 20 2013 9:53 PM EDT2013-05-21 01:53:56 GMT
Burlington City Councilor Vince Brennan will be running in the Vermont City Marathon and is also using it as a fundraiser. He has started a online campaign to raise money for the One Fund Boston, whichMore >>
Burlington City Councilor Vince Brennan will be running in the Vermont City Marathon and is also using it as a fundraiser.More >>
MONTPELIER, Vt. -
Starting Monday, Sprint customers can send emergency text messages to 911.
A press release says this a 4 month test to see the potential of this technology.
"We learned a lot from the original text to 911 trial in Vermont, including that this new technology can save lives," David Tucker, Executive Director of the Enhanced 911 Board, said. "The fact that a large number of individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing already use Sprint as their preferred carrier means we will be better able to provide access for that population to the Vermont 911 system as a result of this trial with Sprint."
Tucker says there are different parameters that the public should be aware of before sending in emergency text messages to 911:
• Customers should use the texting option only when a voice call to 911 is not an option. Text messaging is considered a "best efforts" service and there is no guarantee a text message will be sent, delivered or received in a timely manner, if at all.
• Sending a text to 911 may take longer than a voice call because someone must enter the text, send it through the system and then the 911 call taker has to enter a text response and send it back. Time is critical in a life-threatening emergency, and customers should be aware of this difference.
• Providing location information and the nature of the emergency in the first message is imperative. The Williston PSAP will not be able to access the cell phone location or speak with the person who is sending the text, and will need to convey the texter's location to local first responders.
• Text abbreviations and slang should never be used so that the intent of the dialog can be as clear as possible.
• Customers must be in range of cell towers in Vermont. If customers are outside or near the edge of the state, the message may not reach the Williston PSAP.
• Texts to 911 have the same 160 character limit as other text messages.
• Sprint Wireless customers must have mobile phones that are capable of sending text messages.
• The texting function should only be used for emergency situations that require a response from police, fire or emergency medical services. Consumers are reminded this is part of an experimental trial to evaluate a new technology and, in the event of an actual emergency, should also consider alternate forms of contacting 911.
Text messages sent to 911 will be routed to the Williston Public
Safety Answering Point (PSAP).
VT Sprint Customers Can Send Text Messages to 911More>>