Tuesday, May 21 2013 9:56 PM EDT2013-05-22 01:56:07 GMT
People in Pat O'Hagan's small hometown of Sheffield say there is a bit a closure. That this week's developments end some of the two-and-a half year old mystery. Friends and neighbors say all this beginsMore >>
People in Pat O'Hagan's small hometown of Sheffield say there is a bit a closure.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 7:29 PM EDT2013-05-21 23:29:47 GMT
Chittenden Solid Waste District general manager Tom Moreau says the chemical aminopyralid is the herbicide found in Green Mountain Compost that ruined up to five hundred gardens last year including his. "We'reMore >>
The herbicide likely came from hay that came to the compost through manure.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 7:23 PM EDT2013-05-21 23:23:32 GMT
For the first time in more than a year, we're hearing from the couple accused of brutally killing a popular St. Johnsbury teacher, Melissa Jenkins. Both Allen and Patricia Prue spoke in court today -More >>
For the first time in more than a year, we're hearing from the couple accused of brutally killing a popular St. Johnsbury teacher, Melissa Jenkins. Both Allen and Patricia Prue spoke in court today - requesting new attorneys. More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 6:25 PM EDT2013-05-21 22:25:01 GMT
Voters across the state of New York headed to the polls on Tuesday to vote on their school districts budgets and elect school board members. For voters in Peru, NY the reaction to the proposed budget isMore >>
Voters across the state of New York headed to the polls on Tuesday to vote on their school districts budgets and elect school board members. More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 6:10 PM EDT2013-05-21 22:10:06 GMT
South Burlington fire fighters say they had to close off some streets Tuesday to repair a gas leak. It happened around 2 on Hayes Avenue, as construction crews were working on a street project. FirefightersMore >>
South Burlington fire fighters say they had to close off some streets Tuesday to repair a gas leak.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 5:44 PM EDT2013-05-21 21:44:30 GMT
For more than two and half years we haven't heard much from police about the death of Pat O'Hagan. That changed Tuesday when we received these federal documents that connects Michael Norrie, 22, KeithMore >>
Even with confessions of three people regarding the death of Pat O'Hagan, state prosecutors say there isn't enough evidence to charge them. Instead, federal prosecutors are hoping to use that information to lock at least one of them behind bars for a longer time.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 3:32 PM EDT2013-05-21 19:32:47 GMT
Here's a timeline of events regarding Pat O'Hagan's death. On September 10, 2010, police say 78-year-old Pat O'Hagan was attacked and killed inside her Sheffield, Vt. home.The next day a friend reportedMore >>
Timeline of events regarding Pat O'Hagan's death.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 2:32 PM EDT2013-05-21 18:32:54 GMT
Vermont Restaurant Week donates $6,600 to Vermont Food Bank. A press release says the money will provide 19,800 meals for families throughout Vermont "The Vermont Food Bank is thrilled to again be theMore >>
Vermont Restaurant Week donates $6,600 to Vermont Foodbank.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 1:43 PM EDT2013-05-21 17:43:40 GMT
A judge denied Allen Prue's request for a new lawyer Tuesday. Earlier Tuesday, a judge also denied Patricia Prue, Allen's wife, a new lawyer. Patricia and Allen Prue are accused of strangling and beatingMore >>
A judge denied Allen Prue's request for a new lawyer Tuesday.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 1:22 PM EDT2013-05-21 17:22:01 GMT
If you're looking to help the victims of the deadly tornado in Oklahoma here are some resources: Red Cross You can also text REDCROSS to: 90999. Each text will donate $10 and will be charged to your phoneMore >>
If you're looking to help the victims of the deadly tornado in Oklahoma here are some resources. More >>
MONTPELIER, Vt. -
Starting Monday, Sprint customers can send emergency text messages to 911.
A press release says this a 4 month test to see the potential of this technology.
"We learned a lot from the original text to 911 trial in Vermont, including that this new technology can save lives," David Tucker, Executive Director of the Enhanced 911 Board, said. "The fact that a large number of individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing already use Sprint as their preferred carrier means we will be better able to provide access for that population to the Vermont 911 system as a result of this trial with Sprint."
Tucker says there are different parameters that the public should be aware of before sending in emergency text messages to 911:
• Customers should use the texting option only when a voice call to 911 is not an option. Text messaging is considered a "best efforts" service and there is no guarantee a text message will be sent, delivered or received in a timely manner, if at all.
• Sending a text to 911 may take longer than a voice call because someone must enter the text, send it through the system and then the 911 call taker has to enter a text response and send it back. Time is critical in a life-threatening emergency, and customers should be aware of this difference.
• Providing location information and the nature of the emergency in the first message is imperative. The Williston PSAP will not be able to access the cell phone location or speak with the person who is sending the text, and will need to convey the texter's location to local first responders.
• Text abbreviations and slang should never be used so that the intent of the dialog can be as clear as possible.
• Customers must be in range of cell towers in Vermont. If customers are outside or near the edge of the state, the message may not reach the Williston PSAP.
• Texts to 911 have the same 160 character limit as other text messages.
• Sprint Wireless customers must have mobile phones that are capable of sending text messages.
• The texting function should only be used for emergency situations that require a response from police, fire or emergency medical services. Consumers are reminded this is part of an experimental trial to evaluate a new technology and, in the event of an actual emergency, should also consider alternate forms of contacting 911.
Text messages sent to 911 will be routed to the Williston Public
Safety Answering Point (PSAP).
VT Sprint Customers Can Send Text Messages to 911More>>