The third round of severe weather this month hit the region Monday with more than 50 reports of hail and damaging winds. Here's the map of where storms hit the hardest:
These blue dots indicate wind damage, while yellow dots indicate hail 1" or larger. These reports come in from YOU! The public is a huge help during these weather events and we meteorologists rely on ground reports to get an idea of what is going on.
You can see that mostly northern areas in New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire got whacked the most. To be exact, I counted up the following number of storm reports:
Some of the hail was on the heftier side as well. Here's a look at some of those reports:
The picture we received on-line, through e-mail, and Facebook were awesome!
THANK YOU for those! I love getting the pictures. You can upload them on Facebook just search Fox44 Local News or you can go to www.abc22.com or www.fox44now.com to learn how to upload them on those web sites.
The air was hot and humid Monday and it fueled these thunderstorms. Storms grew to an estimated 35,000 to 42,000 feet high and were able to produce some large hailstones. This was the third severe weather outbreak this month, with the prior ones happening on July 17 and July 4.
This has been the only way Burlington has gotten its rain though. Burlington has 3.51" of rain on the month. However, 3.30" of that has fallen in these heavy thunderstorms. That's 94% of our rain from these three big days, while the other 6% has been spread out during the 20 other days in July.
-Meteorologist Steve Glazier